Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Gumbo-Limbo Jambalaya...just in time for Mardi Gras

I have no idea what is behind Mardi-Gras. I only know I love the idea of "Fat Tuesday". Hey, I can pig out on "punchkies" (paczkis) or as I know them...jelly donuts...too:-) Anyway, one of our favorite meals is kind of a cajun dish. We call it "Gumbo-Limbo Jambalaya" but it is adapted from a recipe in the Cooking Light cookbook called "Hearty Chicken-Sausage Soup". It is a super good, super easy slow cooker meal. I will tell you, the veggie mix contains okra, which seems to be a really bad 4 letter word to most people. All I can say is that once it cooks all day, it is small and unrecognizable AND my daughters LOVE it...and that says something. Jordie just took a bite and was bummed she didn't get any okra in it so please, give it a try...for me:-)

Gumbo-Limbo Jambalaya
1 (16 ounce) pkg. frozen vegetable gumbo mixture
1 lb boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
8 ounces low-fat smoked sausage or kielbasa
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
2 Tbs cajun seasoning (2 tsp if you don't like it spicy)
2 cups long grained brown rice, cooked

Place 1st 6 ingredients in slow cooker on high 1 hour and then low 6-7 hours. Stir in cooked rice for the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
Makes 6~1 and 1/4 cup servings at 240 cals/serving
***We love this so by adding extra ingredients, you have enough for a few nights.
Also, we absolutely LOVE Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning. I add it to fish, chicken, pasta, soups...you name it.
Great served with a warm, 5 grain bread and tossed salad.

Dessert...of course! Caramel Banana Sundaes from Cooking Light
(Because if it were from me, I would add a few Tbs. of butter:-)
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar and 1 Tbs water
Combine in a large non-stick skillet. Cook over med. heat until sugar melts. Add 2 large bananas, peeled and sliced, to skillet. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes or until bananas are heated through. Spoon over 1/2 cup servings of vanilla fat-free ice cream and top with 1 tsp. fat-free caramel sauce. Yummy!!!:-)




1 comment:

  1. Hi! Just stopping by from the MBC follow me club. Looking forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do ya think? Do tell...I'd love to hear it:) Be Happy...

Follow Me on Pinterest

Blog Top Sites